New RA Applications
Thinking about becoming a Resident Assistant?
- Do you like interacting with other students?
- Are you willing to give someone help when they need it?
- Are you looking for leadership skills that give you something to brag about on the job market?
- If you answered "yes", YOU should consider being an RA!
The main responsibilities of an RA is to ensure that the residential community is a safe place for students to live and study. RAs spend time on their floor getting to know the residents and helping them to develop relationships with each other. RAs plan floor activities, as well as providing assistance when students encounter difficulties with their roommate or just need someone to listen. RAs also meet weekly with their supervisor and fellow RA staff, and serve on an on-call rotation for the building.
Who is eligible?
RAs are sophomore, junior, and senior students who have lived on campus for at least one semester with at least a 2.5 GPA. RAs are expected to serve as role models for other students, and must be able to demonstrate responsible decision making.
What is the compensation?
The RA position offers a stipend of $3200 over the academic year. Included is a single room assignment at the double room cost. RAs also receive a complimentary permit to park on campus.
Application and timeline:
The following are important dates to note regarding the RA application process. Due to the large numbers of applicants each year, the following is the most efficient way to fairly evaluate each candidate. It is important that you make every effort to attend the interview sessions and group process.
All pieces of the application must be submitted by the due-date listed below. For the recommendation forms simply email the links above to your RA or Faculty/Staff member. Consider giving RAs and Faculty/Staff 4-5 days to complete the form.
- RA Informational Sessions:
- MCC Witherspoon - Maple: November 6th, 7:00 PM
- Galbreath Hall Lobby November 19, 7:00 PM
- Shaw Hall Lobby November 13, 7:00 PM
- Russell Hall Lobby November 21, 7:00 PM
- ALL RA Applications due FEBRUARY 5, 2020 at 4:30pm
- New RA Individual Interviews MCC Student Affairs Office - February 10th-13th, 2020. Candidates should sign up for an interview time in the Student Affairs Office starting February 6th
- Group Process Berlin Lounge (McKelvey Campus Center) - Saturday, February 15th, 2020 - 9:30 am-12:30 pm (required of all new RA candidates).
- Decision letters will be sent to candidates' WC e-mail address no later than March 6th, 2020. The decision letter will also contain the placement for next year.
Returning RA Applications: made available to current RAs during January Training - Check with your supervisor for specifics.