Thinking about becoming a Resident Assistant?
- Do you like interacting with other students?
- Are you willing to give someone help when they need it?
- Are you looking for leadership skills that give you something to brag about on the job market?
- If you answered "yes", YOU should consider being an RA!
The main responsibilities of an RA is to ensure that the residential community is a safe place for students to live and study. RAs spend time on their floor getting to know the residents and helping them to develop relationships with each other. RAs plan floor activities, as well as providing assistance when students encounter difficulties with their roommate or just need someone to listen. RAs also meet weekly with their supervisor and fellow RA staff, and serve on an on-call rotation for the building.
Who is eligible?
RAs are sophomore, junior, and senior students who have lived on campus for at least one semester with at least a 2.5 GPA. RAs are expected to serve as role models for other students, and must be able to demonstrate responsible decision making.
What is the compensation?
The RA position offers a stipend of $3200 over the academic year. Included is a single room assignment at the double room cost. RAs also receive a complimentary permit to park on campus.
Application and timeline:
The following are important dates to note regarding the RA application process. Due to the large numbers of applicants each year, the following is the most efficient way to fairly evaluate each candidate. It is important that you make every effort to attend the interview sessions and group process.
- RA Informational Sessions: Candidates should choose one informational session that best fits their schedule.
- Monday October 9th at 8pm in Shaw Lobby
- Thursday November 16th at 1pm in the Club Room
- Thursday December 7th at 8pm in Russell Lobby
- Wednesday January 24th at 9pm in Witherspoon Maple
- Returning RA Applications made available to current RAs during January Training
- ALL RA Applications due January 26th at 4:30pm
- New RA Individual Interviews MCC Student Affairs Office - February 19th-23rd, 2018. Candidates should sign up for an interview time in the Student Affairs Office starting January 16th.
- Group Process Berlin Lounge (McKelvey Campus Center) - Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 9:30am-12:30pm (required of all new RA candidates).
- Decision letters will be sent to candidates' campus mailboxes no later than Februrary 28th, 2018. Specific placement information will be sent after housing selection for campus has been completed.