Thinking about becoming a Resident Assistant?
- Do you like interacting with other students?
- Are you willing to give someone help when they need it?
- Are you looking for leadership skills that give you something to brag about on the job market?
- If you answered "yes", YOU should consider being an RA!
The main responsibilities of an RA is to ensure that the residential community is a safe place for students to live and study. RAs spend time on their floor getting to know the residents and helping them to develop relationships with each other. RAs plan floor activities, as well as providing assistance when students encounter difficulties with their roommate or just need someone to listen. RAs also meet weekly with their supervisor and fellow RA staff, and serve on an on-call rotation for the building.
Who is eligible?
RAs are sophomore, junior, and senior students who have lived on campus for at least one semester with at least a 2.5 GPA. RAs are expected to serve as role models for other students, and must be able to demonstrate responsible decision making. While there is no limit on other activities an RA can be involved in, it is important to note that the RA role is a significant one, and is based on a 15-hour work week.
What is the compensation?
- The first year RA role comes with a $3,200 stipend paid over 9 months, a single room at a double rate, and a free parking pass.
- The returning RA role comes with a $3,300 stipend paid over 9 months, a single room at a double rate, and a free parking pass.
- The Head RA Role (available to returning RAs only) comes with a $3,300 stipend, an on-campus apartment (or more compensation depending on assigned residence hall), and a free parking pass.
- The Berlin Village Manager role comes with a $4,000 stipend, a discounted Berlin Village room rate, and a free parking pass.
Information and Timeline:
The following are important dates to note regarding the RA application process. Due to the large numbers of applicants each year, the following is the most efficient way to fairly evaluate each candidate. It is important that you make every effort to attend the interview sessions and group process.
- Residence Life Open Houses: Meet Residence Life staff, ask questions, get more information on ResLife WC, and grab some food!
- November 3rd - 8:00 PM - 9:30 PM MCC 334 (Lakeview)
- November 9th - 9:00 PM - 10:00 PM MCC 334 (Lakeview)
- February 1st - 8:30 PM - 10:00 PM MCC 334 (Lakeview)
- February 10th - 12:30 PM - 2:30 PM MCC 334 (Lakeview)
- Applications Due
- Electronically: February 20th at 11:59 PM
- Paper Applications: February 21st at 5:00 PM
- New RA Individual Interviews MCC Student Affairs Office - February 28th-March 4th, 2022. Candidates selected for an interview via email should sign up for an interview time in the Student Affairs Office starting February 21st at 9 AM
- Group Process Berlin Lounge (McKelvey Campus Center) - March 5, 2022. Candidates selected to continue to Group Process should keep this entire day clear if possible and watch their email for their group process time.
- Decision letters will be sent to candidates' WC e-mail address no later than March 11th, 2022 at 5 PM. The decision letter will also contain the placement for next year. Acceptance of the placement (residence hall) accompanies the acceptance of the Resident Assistant Role. You must accept the placement in order to accept the role.