Satellite Cable TV Compatibility
In our commitment to keep our residential students’ cable TV rates as affordable as possible, Westminster College has changed its television service provider to Campus TeleVideo. This is a satellite-based, high-quality digital TV service. With this change, only TVs with a Digital QAM tuner in them will be able to view the service. If a TV does not have a QAM tuner or is an analog TV an error message or snow may appear.
How do I know if my TV has a QAM Tuner?
A QAM tuner allows your TV to tune to the Digital or HD cable channels that Campus TeleVideo will be sending out. Most HD TVs that were made after 2006 have a QAM tuner built in, but not all.
- You can search online by make/model of your TV or reference your TV's owner's manual for specific model information to include what type of tuner is available.
- Here is a link to help search specific TV Manufacturers:
- Additionally, if your TV remote has the (.) or (-) symbol button for easy tuning or is able to display channels with a (.) or (-) like 5.2 or 5-2, your device may have a QAM tuner.
NOTE: This is general information regarding integrated QAM tuner enabled TVs. For customer-specific model issues, refer to the manufacturer's website. QAM tuner information should be displayed in the "technical specifications" information of the device.
How do I program my TV to get these channels?
- Most QAM tuner TV's have a "Channel Search" or "Auto Program" function that will automatically scan the incoming signals and detect the ones that are available. It may be necessary to do a channel search before your TV will allow you to tune to a specific channel.
- Go into the TV Menu and select Set Up
- Look for an option similar to "Channel Search" or "Auto Program" and select
- The TV will automatically begin searching to identify all available channels
- After this auto search is completed, there will be 60 or more channels available for viewing (if the TV has an internal QAM tuner). If no channels are available, it is likely the TV does not have a QAM tuner.
Converter Box options:
Campus Televideo has two recommendations for converters. Their first recommendation, which is sold by them at $108, has been successful for most TVs. Go to the CampusTelevideo website for assistance:
Campus Televideo also recommends the following converter:
Model number - iView 3500 STB II
Manufactured by iView
This converter sells for approximately $30-$40 on the internet at sites such as Amazon:
The last option, should you not want to purchase a converter, is to buy a new TV that has a QAM tuner in it. Tuner information provided by manufacturers can be difficult to understand, so please be sure to double check with your sales representative before you make your purchase.
Please don’t hesitate to alert your Residence Life staff to any problems you may have with this new service if the above advice or options do not work. We will do our best to help you out.